Homemade Coconut Oil Toothpaste

baking chic August 21, 2013 37

This Homemade Toothpaste recipe has been a wonderful, healthier alternative than the commercial toothpaste from the store and I am excited to share the recipe with you!

While I was visiting Colorado I ran out of my toothpaste. I am fortunate enough to have a mom who would have all my ingredients on hand lol! These are her beautiful ingredients and her lovely jar, for my step by step. *Thanks Mom!

* I have no claims to be a dentist and no wish to offend dentists in general. This is just my personal opinion and what I like to use as an oral alternative for my family.

I hadn’t realized how much I would love homemade toothpaste but  after trying this recipe I could see and feel such a difference in my mouth and now I am hooked.

Coconut oil is anti- fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial and is wonderful for the mouth. It also severs as a natural teeth whitener.

Xylitol is a natural sweetener and works as a mineral for the teeth. It is very similar to fluoride but without any negative affects. You can find Xylitol in almost any health food store.

I am avoiding glycerin due, to the fact that it coats your teeth, which prevents your teeth from absorbing  minerals. Glycerin is in almost every commercial toothpaste out there, even in most of the organic ones. I won’t mention all the other ingredients in traditional toothpaste and how hard they are on our teeth (too long of a post).

I have learned a little about remineralizing the teeth and found out some interesting information. Here is an article you might like, if you are interested in learning more about how to remineralize your teeth and the benefits to homemade toothpaste.

I have further researched Oil Pulling which is also a great way to remineralize your teeth and cleanse the mouth of bacteria and plaque.

What is Oil Pulling? Well, it is like mouthwash but instead of using commercial mouthwash, use Coconut Oil. How does it work? Swish it around in the mouth for 15-20 minutes and spit out. In doing this, the coconut oil is absorbing all the harmful bacteria in the mouth, removing plaque and gingivitis as well. I try to do this as often as I can.  You will notice whiter teeth as well. Here is a wonderful article about oil pulling.

Back to Toothpaste

Here is a step by step tutorial 🙂

* For those in colder climates, the coconut oil firms up in winter, put it in a container that you can place in a cup of hot water, and it will soften right up; or just scrape it out with a
spoon.

1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil

1-2 Tablespoons Xylitol

1 Tablespoon Baking Soda

15-20 drops Peppermint Oil

Mix

Tooth Paste Recipe

2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil

2 Heaping Tablespoons Xylitol

2 Tablespoons Baking Soda

15-20  (optional) drops Peppermint Oil

* This recipe is a very small recipe. I adjust it to the size of the jar I have.

I am wanting to add more minerals and vitamins to my recipe but until then, I thought, I would share with you what I am currently doing.

It may take a little adjustment in your family to get started, but after noticing the difference in your teeth, you won’t want to stop!

Happy brushing!

1. Amy August 22, 2013 at 10:44 am - Reply

Well Hello there!!

Now who would have thought to make homemade toothpaste?! Imagine that, they are putting chemicals in our toothpaste. 🙂
    I wouldn’t think anything less……..

I love it! I have got it saved and once I get to the store to get the Xylitol, I’ll be whipping me up a batch!

You are just so creative! Keep the great ideas and recipes coming!

Love You Marie!
    Blessings,
    Amy

2. Pam August 25, 2013 at 3:37 am - Reply

I love how your post came out. I am adding this comment for others to say that I love this tooth paste very much. Steve and I have been using it for a while and are hooked as well. It tastes good, feels good, and works good. If it firms up in winter, put it in a container that you can place in a cup of hot water, and it will soften right up; or just scrape it out with a
    spoon. The little ones crave it, and you don’t have to worry about the excess fluoride that is actually toxic.

Love you,
    Mom

• baking chic August 26, 2013 at 2:07 pm - Reply

Mom thanks so much for your information, I just update this post and shared your helpful tip for everyone. I so appreciate your advice!

3. Rebecca, Soap Deli News August 25, 2013 at 3:28 pm - Reply

This would be great with some neem essential oil mixed in too!

• baking chic August 26, 2013 at 1:56 pm - Reply

Rebecca, that sounds great!

• luvnlife520 April 7, 2016 at 11:03 am - Reply

I am a new convert to homemade toothpaste, and really like it. The recipe that I used suggested adding a few drops of essential oil. So, I added peppermint to mine.

4. Elizabeth August 26, 2013 at 2:00 am - Reply

Do you refrigerate it?

• baking chic August 26, 2013 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Hi Elizabeth, no I keep mine at room temperature, you can easily refrigerate it but it would harden the coconut oil which would make it difficult to scoop out.

5. Judy August 26, 2013 at 10:54 pm - Reply

What is xylitol? And, where do I find it? Pharmacy

Judy H.

• baking chic August 28, 2013 at 9:03 pm - Reply

Hi Judy! Xylitol is a natural sweetener, you can find it at a health food store. I am not sure if the Pharmacy carries it or not?

6. Sabrina August 28, 2013 at 3:48 pm - Reply

Wow! I just purchased these items and can’t wait to try this. Thanks for posting!

Any word where that small jar and spoon came from? I am in love with it!

• baking chic August 28, 2013 at 9:05 pm - Reply

Hi Sabrina,
      You are so fun, I know that jar is so cute! My mom got it from a antique store. I hope you like the recipe!

7. Amber August 28, 2013 at 5:54 pm - Reply

this sounds like an awesome natural alternative! and that jar of your mother’s is just gorgeous!!

• baking chic August 28, 2013 at 9:06 pm - Reply

Amber, I will let my mom know! I hope you like the toothpaste!
      Blessings dear friend!

8. Jime September 5, 2013 at 2:05 pm - Reply

I searched homemade toothpaste the same day you posted this. How perfect is that?! I just made mine with lemon essential oil, but the xylitol is pretty large granules. Any tips for getting it to dissolve?

• baking chic September 6, 2013 at 2:17 pm - Reply

Hi Jime,
      Hmmm, I found that my mom’s Xylitol had larger granules as well. I didn’t mind, because I liked having them devolve in my gums, but you could adjust the recipe and add bit more coconut oil to your preference to kind of soak up the Xylitol. I hope you have success with your recipe!
      Blessings!!

9. Cinnamon December 7, 2013 at 12:54 am - Reply

Another great idea. I have a toothpaste that we made and I like but this one looks good too. I will have to try it soon.

Now I’m off to read those articles you linked.

Thanks!

~Cinnamon

• baking chic December 7, 2013 at 11:31 am - Reply

Thanks so much Cinnamon! I would love to know your tooth pastes recipe! Thanks so much for the comment!

10. Christyn February 1, 2014 at 8:31 am - Reply

Do you have to use the xylitol?

• baking chic February 3, 2014 at 12:24 am - Reply

Well, you don’t have to but I think Xylitol is such an important ingredient, the benefits are worth adding it to your recipe.

11. Nikki March 6, 2014 at 8:41 pm - Reply

Made the recipe..is there any way to make it foam when you use it…

• baking chic April 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm - Reply

Hi Nikki, I haven’t found a homemade toothpaste recipe yet that foams.

12. Juju June 9, 2014 at 11:12 am - Reply

Would you have any recommendation for an essential oil that would not be minty? My husband lips are super sensitive and easily irritated by minty / cool flavorings – can’t do cinnamon, peppermint, etc. probably not even tea tree oil… trying to think of a good alternative. Also, would this be safe for me while pregnant? ( I don’t see why not, but interested in your / others’ input ) probably safer than all the chemicals! 🙂

Thanks!

• baking chic June 9, 2014 at 1:21 pm - Reply

Hi Juju,
      I know that clove oil is really good for your teeth and gums. I was just reading about it this morning and wanted to give it a try myself. And yes this recipe would be fine while pregnant. I hope that helps. God Bless 🙂

13. April Hadden January 2, 2015 at 10:57 am - Reply

What are the benefits of the baking soda? My child found this too salty and is extremely sensitive to certain taste. Could I omit the baking soda?

• baking chic March 19, 2015 at 9:54 am - Reply

Hi April! You don’t have to use baking soda if you prefer. It’s another ingredient that is great for cleaning the teeth but not necessary, I know that the coconut oil itself is wonderful all on its own.

14. NW March 11, 2015 at 9:43 pm - Reply

This sounds awesome! My only question is “how much do you put on your toothbrush?” The same amount as regular toothpaste?

• baking chic March 19, 2015 at 9:51 am - Reply

Thank you Neal! Yes, you can use the same amount you use with the regular toothpaste! 🙂

15. Joy March 25, 2015 at 9:57 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing this great recipe! Do you think there would be a concern with the coconut oil going down the drain? We have a septic tank.

• baking chic March 26, 2015 at 10:44 pm - Reply

Hi Joy! yes, you raise an important question. It would be wise to use a waste basket for depositing tooth paste waste. Thanks for your kind words! Many blessings!

16. Chickadee December 22, 2015 at 9:58 am - Reply

I love this! My tweaks were to put the xylitol in my small CLEAN coffee grinder and pulverize it a bit. I only use half the baking soda so it isn’t quite so salty tasting. I have a silicone squeeze tube I store it in so I can use it like a regular tube of toothpaste. I used a disposable piping bag to fill my silicone tube, but, it could just as easily been stored in the piping bag with an appropriate tip and cover for everyday use.

17. Shirley December 27, 2015 at 1:47 pm - Reply

I’ve been making toothpaste with coconut oil and baking soda for some time. What is the benefit of adding the xylitol?

18. Alice December 27, 2015 at 10:14 pm - Reply

Hello, I am curious. How Will Coconut oil affect my Dental fillings. My Sister was using Coconut Oil and she lost a filling.I told her more than likely she may have had a loss filling.But I have been a bit concerned .Is it possible.

19. Cindy February 9, 2016 at 5:25 pm - Reply

I just read that need oil is for external use only. Is it? I really wanted to be able to use it in a toothpaste recipe. It said to only use the bark and leaf powder. Not sure now. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks!